Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Room With A View

“We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won't do harm - yes, choose a place where you won't do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.” - E.M. Forster, A Room with a View
The University Building with the Big "M" in the background.

As I contemplate the coming school year I am filled with dread. This is the same sort of dread I would assume all professors feel upon the embarking of a new school year. Will my students like me? Will I make a difference? Will I have the ability to teach? All these questions and more are running through my mind.

The last few days have been rather humdrum. I spent most of my time sitting in my room watching endless episodes of Supernatural, Desperate Housewives, and South Park, biding my television time until Doctor Who returns September 1st. Between these marathons of Netflix time I have gone on several walks. These have gotten me to the point of near-memorization of the University of Montana's campus and the area immediately surrounding my house. In fact, I found a small bookshop/cafe/local-food-market of which I looked forward to being a patron, but walked up right as it closed. This led to the discovery of a smoothie shop in the University Center that makes some of their smoothies with POG (passion orange guava juice...aka the best thing ever). This smoothie is what makes a beautiful Saturday such as today wonderful while wandering around by myself.

Me and the Grizzly that I have to pass
everyday on my way to work/school.
I sat through several hours of auditions yesterday for the voice studios and am now the proud teacher of six students, plus the sixteen in my singing for non-majors course. Lord, help them. I am all signed up for my classes, but for one which requires an override slip, but have yet to buy any of my books. We'll get those once the classes meet and I know what I truly need.

My anticipation is mounting and the bear in the loop is gleaming in the sun, shining out the energy that is starting to pervade the campus. I can but hope that my time here will prove useful both to me and my students, and that I emerge on the other end changed for the better with a degree that will serve me well throughout my years. Now, to soak up a little more of that sun and watch some more tv shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment