Monday, August 20, 2012

Once More Unto The Breach

"Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English." 

                      - Henry V, Act III, Scene 1 - William Shakespeare

As I look upon the coming year I am filled both with resolve and hesitance. I hear the voice in the back of my mind cheering me on, telling me that I am ready for this adventure and have been given the tools needed to begin this journey. At the same time, I hear the little devil on my shoulder snickering and clapping his hands in glee over the things I have yet to understand about my new responsibilities.

I am off for the beginning of two years at the University of Montana. There I will be fulfilling my goal of achieving my masters degree in classical voice. I had my reservations going into this whole ordeal as I was ready to move to Seattle and begin my teaching and performing career right after my undergrad, but God had larger plans for me. I didn't believe Him at first, but He blessed me with rushing my paperwork for grad school through extremely quickly - just a few days - and finding me a place to live on the cheap right next to campus. 

But still, I was unsure as to whether or not I really had the chops and the guts to pursue my career. Four years into my singing education and career and I still was unsure. What was I thinking? But then tonight my parents took me out for a farewell dinner at a Thai restaurant near my home in the Seattle area. A jazz pianist was performing and we were seated right next to him, much to my delight. He began playing many Tin Pan Alley standards and songs I have grown to love through the years and I, naturally, began to hum along and then sing quietly (honestly, I thought I was being quiet!). 

Three or four songs in, the pianist leaned over the wall and asked, "Who is the singer over here?" I sheepishly raised my hand and claimed responsibility. At this point he grilled me briefly about my education and invited me to sing a song with him if I so desired. Feeling self-conscious I turned him down, but as the meal wore on I wanted to sing "They Can't Take That Away from Me" by George and Ira Gershwin. This is one of my favorite songs and it seemed appropriate to sing at this juncture so I leaned back and asked if he knew it. After fumbling for the right key we settled on F, he pulled me onto the stage, and I performed it in front of the whole restaurant. 

I must admit, it was quite fun, and I kept receiving compliments from our waitress and other patrons of the restaurant. It was just the kick in the pants I needed as I leave for this next huge step in my life.

Pray for me as I leave and go to a city I barely know, where I have very few friends, but where I know I need to be. Pray for patience, peace, and a daily reminder of His grace and wonder. Now, just as King Henry and his men noted, I aim to show the mettle of my pasture and that I am worth my breeding. Here I go, off to follow my Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment